- 15 jalapeños, cut in 1/2, seeded and deveined
- 1/2 cup candied jalapeños, chopped
- 2 lbs. mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350° and set the rack in the middle of the oven. Place jalapenos on a sheet tray and roast for 10 minutes. Removed from the oven and let cool. Turn broiler on medium.
In a medium pan add the sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes, breaking up ascooking. Add the onions, red bell and candied jalapeños and garlic and cook to soften for about 5 minutes. Remove and place in a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, then add cream cheese and Parmesan. Mix ingredients thoroughly and season with salt and pepper. Place approximately 1 tablespoonful of mixture into each jalapeño half, and top with 1/2 teaspoon of mozzarella cheese. Place the sheet tray of stuffed peppers in the oven and broil until mozzarella cheese melts.
Our sweet jalapenos and Italian sausage add a nice spicy flavor burst to this tasty appetizer. I have even been know to forget the whole jalapenos and just make up a crock pot dip out of this recipe. Either way it is yummy!